Team Based Learning
In correspondence with regulations for prevention of COVID 19 spreading, team based learning will not take place in winter semester of academic year 2021-22.
Team based learning (TBL)
Team based learning (TBL) is a learning strategy , where students are placed into small learning teams (usually about 5-7 members). The structure of TBL includes
1. Preparatory phase: lectures, practical classes, self-study of the recommended literature, etc.
2. Activities „in the class“, that include several steps shown in the scheme below.
TBL is an obligatory part of the physiology teaching. In each semester, 2 modules of TBL are included into the schedule.
IN THE CLASSROOM
Reading assignment, self-study
IRAT – Indivi-dual Readiness Assurance Test
TRAT - Team Readiness
30 – 50 min
Mini Lecture (optional)
Clinical Application of the Knowledge
30 – 50 min
Topic of the TBL is published 7-10 days prior to TBL
Multiple choice test (5 questions) is completed on individual basis (written)
The same multiple choice test is completed by teams. Answers are presented (by using cards). Teams explain and discuss their answers.
To clarify confusion shown by the tests.
A clinical problem on the topic is presented. Five mulitiple choice questions are answered. Teams explain and discuss their answers.
TBL gives you the opportunity
- to study the topics and to assess our individual knowledge,
- to deepen the understanding of the main concepts in physiology within a team discussion,
- to train application of theoretical knowledge into clinical context,
- to train clinical reasoning.
It has been shown that TBL sessions improve the study performance of students.