I. Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Exam in Surgery 5th Grade – QUESTIONS
The exam will take place in person, oral form in surgical clinics
1. Acute appendicitis
2. Intracranial bleeding, Hematoma subdural, epidural
3. Pancreatic injuries
4. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of pancreatic tumors
5. Pneumothorax (traumatic, non-traumatic, diagnosis and treatment)
6. Luxations on the upper limb (humeroscapular, elbow, wrist and carpal bones, interphalangeal joints)
7. Tracheostomy, conicotomy (indication, procedure)
8. Thrombophlebitis, phlebothrombosis, phlegmasia cerulea alba
9. Spleen injuries
10. Portal hypertension
11. Hemothorax and fluidothorax (diagnosis, treatment)
12. Blunt chest injuries
13. Hernia incarcerata
14. Bladder carcinoma
17. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of kidney tumors
18. Arthroscopy of the knee, shoulder, ankle, hip joint (indications, principles)
19. Ileus mechanical, strangulation, volvulus, intussusception
20. Skin transplantation and combined flaps (characteristics, distribution and indications)
21. Open fractures (characteristics, classification, diagnosis and treatment)
22. Achalasia and its treatment
23. Prostate cancer (locally advanced, disseminated)
24. Fractures of the pelvis and acetabulum (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
25. Pancreatitis acute (characteristics, diagnosis, therapy)
26. Dupuytren's contracture (differential diagnosis), camptodactyly, post-traumatic contractures on the hand
27. Volkmann's ischemic contracture
28. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of tumors of the small intestine
29. Burn disease, burns – division
30. Subdural hematoma
31. Foreign bodies in GIT
32. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of brain tumors
33. Fractures of the skull and base of the skull
34. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of rectal cancer
35. Brain abscess
36. Characterize high-energy and low-energy trauma, the mechanism of occurrence, the effect of energy on the type of injury, the specifics of anamnesis, diagnostics, traffic accidents, clarify a comprehensive approach to the patient
37. Pressure ulcers (pathophysiology, distribution, prevention and treatment)
38. Neurogenic urinary disorders
39. Commotio et contusio cerebri
40. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of tumors of the gallbladder and bile ducts
42. Epidural hematoma
43. Breast tumors (in general, diagnosis, classification), comprehensive treatment of breast tumors
45. Kidney injuries
46. Ileitis terminalis – M. Crohn (complications, surgical treatment)
47. Bleeding from the upper GIT
48. Discectomy, decompression, stabilization and fusion on the spine (characteristics, indications)
49. The essence of anesthesia, local, lead, regional anesthesia
50. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of brain tumors
51. Injuries of the liver and bile ducts
52. Furunculus, carbunculus, cheillitis, phlegmon, abscess, lymphadenitis, erysipelas, erysipeloid
53. Vertebral fractures (basic division, compression, community)
54. Blunt abdominal injuries
56. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of tumors of the mediastinum
57. Fractures of the thoracic spine (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
58. Blood transfusion (indications, execution, blood derivatives, complications)
60. Spinal cord injuries
61. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of stomach tumors
62. Kidney and urinary tract infections, urosepsis
63. Perinatal trauma and its importance for child development
64. Shock (general, septic, hypovolemic, burn)
65. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of kidney tumors
66. Polydactyly, syndactyly, peromelia, phocomelia
67. Postoperative infusion therapy
68. Omphalocele, gastroschisis
69. Fractures of the diaphysis of the lower leg and ankle area (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
70. Thrombosis and embolism of mesenteric vessels
71. Atresia of the duodenum, small and large intestine
72. Congenital hip dysplasia (characteristics, diagnosis, screening, treatment)
73. Panaricia (superficial and deep), phlegmons of the palm
74. Phimosis, paraphimosis, balantitis
75. Total, subtotal amputations, replantation and revascularization, patient and amputee transport to the replantation center, ischemia time
76. Malignant tumors of the thyroid gland (characteristics, diagnosis, treatment)
77. Testis anomalies, hypospadias and epispadias
78. Epicondylitis humeri radialis, ulnaris, tendovaginitis stenotisans flexor digitorum manus
79. Esophageal diverticula and their surgical treatment
80. Cardiac tamponade
81. Soft tissue tumors of the musculoskeletal system (diagnosis, classification, staging, treatment)
82. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of colon cancer
83. Complications of burns, their diagnosis and treatment
84. Pathological changes on the chest (pectus excavatum, pectus carinatum, pectus infundibulare)
85. Postoperative complications of the surgical wound
86. Congenital defects of the biliary tract
87. Primary malignant and benign bone tumors (diagnosis, classification, staging, treatment)
89. Transplantation (general principles, donation, distribution), tissue transplants, organ transplants
90. Fractures of the talus, calcaneus, tarsus, metatarsals and phalanges of the foot (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
91. Prolapsus ani et recti
92. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of tumors of the spinal cord and spinal cord covers
93. Fractures (diagnosis and classification), principles of treatment (conservative and operative), osteosynthetic material, minimally invasive surgical techniques
94. Pancreatitis chronica (characteristics, surgical treatment)
95. Wound healing, pathological scar, chronic wounds (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, therapy)
96. Osteomalacia and Paget's disease (characteristics, diagnosis, treatment)
97. Anaerobic infections in surgery
99. Fractures in the diaphysis of the humerus and elbow (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
100. Hernia diaphragmatica, reflux esophagitis
101. Anorectal malformations
102. Secondary bone tumors (characteristics, diagnosis, treatment)
103. Postoperative complications (prevention, diagnosis, therapy, treatment)
104. Hemothorax and fluidothorax (diagnosis, treatment)
105. Osteotomy, arthrodesis, synovectomy (characteristics, indications)
106. Colitis ulcerosa (characteristics, surgical treatment)
108. Peculiarities of fractures and dislocations in childhood
109. Gastrointestinal stromal tumors GIST (epidemiology, clinical picture, diagnosis and differential diagnosis, treatment)
110. Prostate cancer (locally advanced, disseminated)
111. Fractures of the cervical spine (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
112. Obstructive jaundice (differential diagnosis)
113. Tendon injuries, principle of tenosuture, tendon transplantation and transposition
114. Bursitis, tendinitis, tendovaginitis, enthesopathy, peripheral nerve narrowing syndrome
115. Nodi haemorrhoidales
116. Bladder carcinoma
117. Fractures in the area of the diaphysis of the bones of the forearm, the area of the wrist, carpal bones, metacarpals and phalanges of the hand (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
118. Struma nodosa (surgical treatment, complications, thyroid tumors)
119. Pneumothorax (traumatic, non-traumatic, diagnosis and treatment)
120. Infectious and parainfectious non-specific arthritis, borreliosis, viral arthritis (HIV)
121. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of tumors of the parathyroid glands
122. Reconstructive and radiological procedures on the arterial system
123. Deformities of the spine - scoliosis, kyphosis, spondylolisthesis (characteristics, diagnosis and treatment)
124. Melanoma and pigmented nevi
126. Pedes plani et planovalgi (characteristics, classification, diagnosis and treatment)
127. Abdomen acutum (distribution, characteristics)
128. Congenital defects of the hand
129. Acute and chronic osteomyelitis (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
130. Perforation of the esophagus
131. Tumors of the testis
132. Fractures of the mandible and maxilla (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
133. Abscessus cavi Douglasi
134. Hemangiomas and vascular malformations
135. Congenital leg defects (pes equinovarus, pes excavatus, ...) (characteristics, classification, diagnosis and treatment)
136. Acute cholecystitis
137. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (etiopathogenesis, symptomatology, diagnosis, treatment)
138. Spinal pain of non-inflammatory etiology (characteristics, specifics according to individual locations, diagnosis, treatment)
139. Internal hernia in the abdominal cavity
140. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of brain tumors
141. Arthrosis (characteristics, most common locations, diagnosis and treatment, endoprostheses, types of their anchoring)
142. General principles of diagnostics and treatment of tumors
143. Hirschsprung's disease
144. Fractures of the scapula, clavicle and proximal part of the humerus (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
145. Biliary peritonitis
146. Aneurysms of the abdominal aorta (symptomatology, diagnosis, treatment)
147. Root syndromes (cervical, lumbosacral, cauda equina syndrome) diagnosis and treatment
148. Hernia (distribution and characteristics), hernia umbilicalis, hernia paraumbilicalis, hernia in cicatrice, hernia linea alba
149. Mediastinitis (diagnosis and treatment)
150. Intracranial hemorrhage
151. Malignant breast tumors (characteristics, diagnosis, treatment)
152. Facial nerve paresis (etiology, diagnosis, surgical treatment, static and dynamic treatment)
153. Luxations on the lower limb (hip joint, knee, ankle, Choparts joint)
154. Peritonitis (distribution, characteristics)
155. Intestinal rotation disorders – Ladd's syndrome
156. Fractures of the proximal femur (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
157. Hernia inguinalis et femoralis
158. Meconium ileus, meconium peritonitis
159. Acute and chronic knee damage (clinical and imaging examination, diagnosis and treatment)
160. Paralytic ileus
161. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of adrenal tumors
162. Osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
163. Ulcus duodeni, ulcus ventriculi
164. Mediastinitis (diagnosis and treatment)
165. Compartment syndrome (extremity and abdomen)
166. Differential diagnosis of bleeding into the GIT
167. Esophageal atresia
168. Aseptic bone necrosis (characteristics, diagnosis, most common locations, treatment)
169. Diverticulosis of the colon
170. Ductus omphaloentericus persistens, urachus persistens
171. Complications of fracture healing, prolonged healing, pseudarthrosis, fractura male sanata (characteristics, classification, diagnosis and treatment)
172. Ileus (distribution, characteristics)
173. Tumors of the testis
174. Examination and management of a patient with polytrauma (principles of treatment, Damage Control, advanced post-traumatic resuscitation (ATLS - Advanced Trauma Life Support)
175. Cystae et pseudocystae pancreatis
176. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of lung tumors
177. Fractures of ribs and sternum (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
178. Pylorostenosis et pylorospasmus
179. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of adrenal tumors
180. Inflammatory diseases of the spine autoimmune e.g. Morbus Bechterev, bacterial, specific (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
181. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of primary and secondary liver tumors
182. Clefts and congenital developmental defects of the face (division, timing of surgery, multidisciplinary approach)
183. Fractures of the femoral shaft and knee area (characteristics, classification, diagnosis, treatment)
184. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of esophageal tumors
185. Thrombophlebitis, phlebothrombosis, phlegmasia cerulea alba
186. Tendon injuries on the limbs, diagnosis, classification and treatment (sutures and types of rehabilitation)
This test contains a total 20 questions from orthopedics, traumatology, plastic surgery, burn surgery and pediatric surgery.
Of the four answers, only one is correct:
Test evaluation: 20-19 correct answers - A
18-17 correct answers – B
16-15 correct answers – C
14-13 correct answers – D
12-11 correct answers - E
10 and less – FX
The test is performed online with the MOODLE program. The test duration is exactly 15 minutes.
Ordinary date - The test in Slovak language
8.6.2021 (Tuesday) 15.00 hod.
9.6.2021 (Wednesday) 15.00 hod.
10.6.2021 (Thursday) 15.00 hod.
Ordinary date - The test in English language
8.6.2021 (Tuesday) 11.00 hod.
9.6.2021 (Wednesday) 11.00 hod.
10.6.2021 (Thursday) 11.00 hod.
1st. Reparative date - The test in Slovak language
22.6.2021 (Tuesday) 10.00 hod.
23.6.2021 (Wednesday) 10.00 hod.
1st. Reparative date - The test in English language
22.6.2021 Tuesday) 11.00 hod.
23.6.2021 (Wednesday) 11.00 hod.
2nd. Reparative date - The test in Slovak language
31.8.2021 (Tuesday) 10.00 hod.
2nd. Reparative date - The test in English language
31.8.2021 (Tuesday) 11.00 hod.
1. Introduction to orthopaedics - development of connective tissue and skeletal ossification, types of bone and cartilage, articular cartilage. Spine development from somites. Clinical examination of orthopaedic patient: joints, walking, goniomentry of large joints, Q angle of the patella, ...
Lecturer: MUDr. Ján Paukovic, CSc.
2. Scoliosis: formation, prevention, conservative and surgical treatment. Chest deformities (pectus carinatum, pectus excavatum).
Lecturer: MUDr. Juraj Horváth, PhD., MUDr. Peter Tisovský,PhD.
3. Surgical treatment of degenerative diseases and traumatic injuries of spine classification of spinal injuries, conservative therapy: reclination, corsets.
Operating therapy: types of stabilization according to location, neurological symptomatology, principles of surgical treatment.
Lecturer: MUDr. Peter Tisovský, PhD. / MUDr. Martin Žabka, PhD.
4. Oncoorthopaedics and inflammatory diseases in orthopaedics
a/ primary tumors of the skeleton, hard and soft tissue and their treatment: WHO classification of tumors, Enneking classification GTM, principles of oncological treatment, individual endoprosthesis, ...
b / secondary skeletal tumors and their treatment: the most common bone metastases, impending fractures: Mirels classification, ... and pathological fractures. Principles of surgical treatment of metastatic fractures.
Tumor-like affections: Fibrous cortical defect of metaphysis, ...
Origins and types of infection spreading. Specific infections: tbc, Charcot joint, ... non-specific and rare inflammation: ostitis sclerosans Garré, Brodie abscess and osteomyelitis albuminosa. Complications of chronic suppuration: the role of the growth plates in spreading of inflammation, amyloidosis, ... treatment.
Lecturer: MUDr. Andrey Švec, PhD.
Orthopaedic and orthopaedic traumatology lectures are carried out in cooperation I.OTK, II. OTK and Pediatric Orthopaedic Clinic.
IV. year general medicine:
Day 1: medical documentation of orthopaedic patient, basic information about orthopedics, diagnostic methods /clinical examination, imaging: X-ray, Scintigraphy, CT, MRI/ - presentation of patients on orthopaedic department, their documentation, assisting during basic therapeutic procedures on ward / venepuncture, joint puncture, surgical wound care and dressing, taking of biological material and samples/
Day 2: bandages and first-aid equipment, plastering and plaster casts, basic instrumentation and materials /endoprosthesis, materials used in traumatology/
V. year general medicine:
Day 1: Definition and scope of orthopaedics. Recapitulation of the development and regeneration of connective tissues / mostly bone and cartilage, joint structure /. Examination of orthopaedic patient / clinical examination, range of motion in the joints, physiological position in the joints, arthrodesis and arthroplasty /. Assistant examination methods and imaging in orthopaedics /plain radiographs., Scintigraphy, CT, MR/. Demonstration of the patients of the clinic.
Day 2: Joint diseases / arthrosis, inflammation - clinical findings and imaging diagnostic methods /. Pediatric orthopaedics / deformities and dilocations: scoliosis, clubfoot, torticollis myogenes, d.d.h. and congenital dislocation of hip joints/, aseptic bone necrosis, deformations and teratology of skeleton. Oncology / basic theoretical knowledge, primary and secondary tumors of connective tissue, the treatment of oncologic patients: primary tumors and metastasis/.
Day 3: Systemic diseases of the skeleton /congenital: chondral production disorders, osteoproductive disorders, mixed forms, obtained: hormonal, metabolic, osteoporosis and osteomalation /. Skeletal trauma and connective tissue trauma / distorsions and fractures - diagnosis, classification, treatment of trauma is adults and children /
VI.year general medicine:
Day 1: Traumatology / distorsions, opened and closed fractures and their classification, pathologic fractures, pseudoarthrosis and classification of pseudoarthrosis, dislocations, amputations, orthopaedic prosthetics / - focused on questions of state examinations and also on distribution to various parts of the skeleton / spine, joints, shaft of long bones /. Clinical examination and imaging diagnostic methods. Differential diagnosis of traumatism / specific and non-specific inflammation, tumors and pseudotumours/. Adaptation and stable osteosynthesis, most modern therapeutic principles and methods.
Day 2: Inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the skeleton / mainly arthrosis, formation of arthrosis, diagnosis and treatment /. Metabolic bone diseases /rickets, scurvy, osteporosis and osteomalation/. Nonspecific bacterial inflammation / nosocomial infections / and their diagnosis and treatment /mainly osteomyelitis /. Specific inflammations /tuberculosis, syphilis/. Muscular and neuromuscular diseases, canal syndromes, algoneurodystrophy. Pediatric orthopedics / deformities and dislocations /.
Day 3: Oncology / Bone and soft tissue primary and secondary tumors, their diagnosis and treatment /. Repetition of state exam questions and other student questions from orthopaedics.
1. Salter, R.B.: Textbook of Disorders and Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System, Williams&Wilkins, 687 s.
2. Steinberg, G.G.: Ramamurti´s Orthopaedics in Primary Care Wiliams&Wilkins, 390s.
3. Rockwood and Green´f Fractures in Adults, Lippincott Wiliams&Wilkins, 1275s. , volume 1,2,3.
MERCER´s TEXTBOOK of ORTHAPAEDICS and TRAUMA, Tenth Edition, Ed. Sivananthan, S. and coll, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2012, 1620 p.
1. BASIC ORTHOPAEDIC SCIENCES, Second Edition, Edited by Ramachandran, M., CEC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2017, 524 p.
2. ORTHOPAEDIC TRAUMA The Stanmore and Royal London, Guide, Edited by Dawson-Bowling, S. and coll., CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2014,438 p.