6. class - state exams
Objectives of the Course:
During this internship period, it is aimed to educate students as physicians capable of establishing diagnosis, providing appropriate treatment and referral regarding patients with problems related to Internal Medicine.
Clinical practise education related all branches of Internal Medicine
Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods:
Outpatient and ward visit, Free Patient Visit, Clinical practice
Lenght of practice: daily 7:30 - 15:30. Each student must have his own white clothes, galoshes and own stethoscope. The students must have 5 night shifts.
On each MONDAY and WEDNESDAY from 13.00 to 14.30 are obligatory lectures (seminars) for the 6th year in the Lecture Hall of 1st Department of Internal Medicine on Mickiewiczova Street, 1st floor.
During the internship as much as possible time should be spent taking an active part in the activities of the host department, clerking and examining all patients who are admitted to the wards and assisting the physicians (who will undoubtedly be grateful for the student's assistance!). Students should see the patients whom they have clerked every day. They should write their own follow-up notes in the patient's chart and, whenever possible, accompany patients in any investigation they might be having (e.g. ECG, chest X-ray, USG, etc.). They will be expected to participate at daily rounds with the attending physician and occasionally will be asked to report clinical findings and laboratory results on their patients.
At the end of the course each student should write a detailed case report on a patient she or he clerked. This should include a carefully taken history, results of thorough physical examination, appropriate laboratory results, detailed discussion and differential diagnosis of the case (simple copying of textbook chapters is strongly discouraged!). Essential points of the report will be orally presented by the student and discussed by his/her fellow colleagues at the credit session.
Students qualify for credit by attending the course, demonstrating necessary knowledge and skills in examining patients and presenting case report.
Outcomes of the course:
- To acquire the abilities of history taking, performing physical examination, making initial and differential diagnoses, requesting appropriate diagnostic tests and filing all medical data.
- Regarding referral of the patients, to be able to refer the appropriate patient, at the appropriate time in a proper manner.
- To be able to interpret the results of the laboratory tests including imaging studies.
- To acquire the abilities of paving the way for vascular access, taking blood samples, installing serum, performing intramuscular and intravenous injections, carrying out nasogastric intubation and bladder catheterization, doing enema, taking ECG, measuring blood glucose levels with glucometer, preparing and interpreting peripheral blood smear.
- By way of observation to have knowledge about interventional procedures (fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid, liver, and kidney biopsy, bone marrow aspiration biopsy, thoracentesis, paracentesis, etc.)
- To acquire the habit of following literature, to gain the abilities of preparing and presenting seminars.
- To reach the proficiency of preparing epicrisis and prescription.
If you are interested to do your state exam practice elsewhere than in our University Hospital, you will need:
- to arrange for an "Agreement on the Provision of a Student Internship" to be signed by the respective hospital/medical facility, where you are looking to do your internship (confirmation of acceptance from faculty hospital, where do you want to do your practice)
- to ask for signed permission from guarantor for teaching Internal Medicine Prof. Juraj Payer, M.D., PhD., MPH, FRCP, 5. Department of Internal Medicine, Ruzinovska 6 (8. floor). You can download it from this link.
For more information's please contact the Study department. Make sure the Study Department receives a copy signed by the hospital BEFORE the start of your internship. Once you complete your internship, make sure you get a certificate, confirming the completion of such internship.
You have to use our Certificate of Internship, or have the hospital issue their own certificate.
In academic year 2019/2020 we changed the questions for the state exam.
Head: Prof. Juraj Payer, MD, PhD., MPH. FRCP
Prof. Viera Kupčová, MD, PhD.
Prof. Fedor Šimko, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Jozef Bulas, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Martin Kužma, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Emoke Šteňová, MD, PhD.
Head: Prof. Viera Štvrtinová, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Igor Bátora, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Denisa Čelovská, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Peter Jackuliak, MD, PhD., MPH, FEFIM
Assoc. Prof. Ľudovít Lukáč, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Marin Čaprnda, MD, PhD.
Head: Assoc. Prof. Soňa Kiňová, MD, PhD.
Prof. Ján Murín, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Tomáš Koller, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Zdenko Kilinger, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Ján Lietava, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Zuzana Žilinská, MD, PhD., MHA, MPH
Head: Assoc. Prof. Viliam Mojto, MD, PhD., MHA
Prof. Angelika Bátorová, MD, PhD.
Prof. Viliam Bada, MD, PhD.
Prof. Stanislav Oravec, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Martin Dúbrava, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Peter Sabaka, MD, PhD.
Head: Prof. Peter Ponťuch, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Oľga Jurkovičová, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Martin Mistrík, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Igor Stankovič, MD, PhD.
Assoc. Prof. Mária Szantová, MD, PhD.
Students are required to print "State exam practices certificate", and have it confirmed by responsible person from clinic, where was practice absolved:
- Head of the Department of Internal Medicine, where the student had the practice
- Head of the II. Department of Oncology, or head of the Department of Oncohaematology, Klenova street, on friday (the last day of week-practice)
- Head of the Department of Haematology and Transphusiology, Antolska street, on friday (the last day of week-practice)
- Head of the Cardiology Department, National Hearth Institute on the second day of practice
- Head of the Department of Angiology, National Hearth Institute at the end of the day
- Responsible doctor in MEDIREX at the end of the day
- 5 night-shift duties must be confirmed by the Head of the Department of Internal Medicine, where the student had the practice
- Seminars will be confirmed on the last seminar by Prof. Juraj Payer, M.D., PhD, the coordinator for teaching of Internal medicine
This confirmed certificate has to be submitted to the department, where state exam will take place. You cannot attend state exam without attending these specialized courses and also passing all seminars.
Due to the current epidemiological situation, the seminars for the 6th year will be held online via MS TEAMS. The seminars will be at 2:00 PM in the days according the schedule.
The group in MS TEAMS will be prepared at the beginning of the course (every student will get a link to the group). For more information please contact Ms. Katarina Bagiova from the 5. Department in Internal Medicine (email: katarina.bagiovafmed.uniba.sk , bagiova4uniba.sk)
A part of pre-state exam practice are specialized internships
- from haematology at Department of Haematology and Transfusiology in Hospital Petržalka, Antolská Street (4 days)
- from oncology at 2nd Department of Oncology and Department of Oncohemathology in National Oncology Institute, Klenova Street 1, Bratislava (3 days)
- from cardiology at Department of Cardiology in National Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases, Pod Krásnou Hôrkou 1 (2 days)
- from angiology at Department of Angiology in National Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases, Pod Krásnou Hôrkou 1 (2 days)
- from laboratory medicine in MEDIREX a.s. – central laboratory, Galvániho ul. č. 17/C (Clinical Research Unit in Internal Medicine at 5th Department of Internal Medicine) (1 day)
In these days students arrive to the given workplace (department).